Monday, May 27, 2013

Jaleo - A Washington Institution


480 7th Street NW

Jaleo is a Tapas restaurant that has three locations in the DMV area. This restaurant seems like its been around forever (1992 or 1993?) or let me put it this way, I can't recall a time when Jaleo DC was not there on that corner where it sits today. If anyone out there recalls what was on that corner before Jaleo leave a comment and let me know. This must have been one of the first Tapas restaurants in DC and it took me a while to warm up to this place and the concept but its basically an institution in this area.

JaleoDC
I would bet that if you ask 10 people between the ages of 40-50 if they have ever been to Jaleo's 4 would say yes and 7 would say they at least have heard of the place and if you said to the remaining 3 'that place on the corner across from the Verizon Center' you would get 10 out of 10. Outside of a fast food joint I would think that 40% patronage from the local population is pretty good, would you agree? Then why would I write a review about this place, for the other 60% and the tourist who read this blog ;-)!





Let me mention that I have not been to the location in Bethesda, I don't venture that far north very often, but I have been to the DC and Virginia locations. First Virginia, this location sucks, don't go there. The DC location is much better.

As it is an institution its a pretty well oiled machine. The servers and bartenders are pretty consistent and experienced. Having recently undergone a renovation, the DC location is very contemporary and provides outdoor seating in a bustling city setting. The menu allows for a large selection and it can be difficult to make a selection if its your first time here. Don't hesitate to talk with the servers for their recommendations. 

My favorites are Pan De Cristal Con Tomate, Merluza A La Donostiarra (Hake) and a salad, normally Ensalada Verde Con Queso Idiazába. The toasted bread is thin and crisp  drizzled with olive oil and a light layer of crushed tomatoes and pinch of salt (so yummy). The Hake is very delicate but meaty and the salad although a little too much cheese and not enough anchovies is very good. Don't forget to try the Sangria unless you'd prefer one of those $14 mixed drinks. 

Pan De Cristal Con Tomate



Merluza A La Donostiarra


The is a prime location so I would suggest reservations as it gets very busy but there is a decent bar area but that fills pretty quickly too. The DC location is about a 2 minute walk from the metro red line Gallery Place exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment